Born in Caracas, Venezuela on July 18, 2000, Eduardo has lived in Miami since May 2003. Started his musical studies in 2006 with piano at Miami Dade College School of Music and explored in visual art and painting studying with Eva Roffe from 2009-2013. His First Painting Exhibition was at Schacknow Museum of Fine Arts SMOFA in the city of Plantation on June 5th, 2010. In 2012, Eduardo studied his 6th grade at MindStream Academy, a boarding school for obese kids located in South Carolina where he lost 46 lbs.
In 2009 he started his Oboe studies with Venezuelan musician Jorge Quintero and continue with Catherine Weinfield, Dr. Rachel Lueck, Lori Patrick, Dr. Kimberly Everett, and lately with Dr. Erin Gittelsohn.
Eduardo started to participate in orchestras, ensembles and bands since 2009 in elementary school Dr. Rolando Espinosa, middle school Miami Arts Charter School, community orchestra Miami Music Project and high school New World School of Arts where he played as a classical oboist at the Orchestra and the Wind Ensemble directed by Alfred Gershfeld, and Brent Mounger respectively plus tenor saxophonist at the Jazz Combo program directed by Jim Gasior.
As a result of participations in different schools’ ensembles, youth orchestras and music camps, Eduardo has had the opportunity to play and study with musicians as Sammy Nestico, Jhon Goldsby, Jamey Aebersold, Boston Brass, James Jude, Juan Felipe Melano, Alex Berti, Mike Orta, Nicole Yarling, Tal Cohen, Jim Gasior, Brian Murphy and lately with Maestro Ira Sullivan at UM Frost School of Music.
Eduardo attended The School of Music at Florida International University pursuing a diploma in Music Performance: Jazz Saxophone. He also played at Jazz Educators Community Coalition (JECC) Boot Camp & Ensemble, 88.9 FM WDNA public radio directed by Nicole Yarling where he also was a musical assistant.
Eduardo has been studying Jazz with saxophonist and composer, Professor Aldo Salvent since 2016 and Professor Gary Campbell at FIU since 2018.
At the present, Eduardo attends SAE Institute pursuing a Diploma in Audio Technology.
1. Gold Coast Jazz Society Scholarship 2016 to attend Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Camp at University of Louisville, KY
3. New England Music Camp 2016 scholarship to attend the camp located in Sidney, ME
4. Gold Coast Jazz Society Scholarship 2017 to attend the Young Musician’s Camp at University of Miami – Frost School of Music.
5. Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute’s (CHCI) scholarship 2017 to participate in R2L NextGen Leadership Program in Washington, D.C.
6. Gold Coast Jazz Society College Scholarship 2018 to attend The School of Music at Florida International University.
7. Florida Medallion Scholars award under the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program for the 2018-19 academic year.
8. Florida Medallion Scholars award under the Florida Bright Futures Scholarship Program for the 2019-20 academic year.
FESTIVAL AND SUMMER PROGRAMS:
3. New England Music Camp 2016 located in Sidney, ME
4. Young Musician’s Camp 2017 at University of Miami – Frost School of Music.
5. Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute’s (CHCI) 2017 to participate in R2L NextGen Leadership Program in Washington, D.C.
Surfing, scuba diving, painting, photography and long walking in nature. Also Eduardo studied improvisational acting at Just the Funny, Miami’s Home for Improvisational and Sketch Comedy.
Among many others Eduardo admires Joshua Redman, John Coltrane, Charlie Parker, Sammy Nestico, Ira Sullivan, Aldo Salvent, and Nicole Yarling.
Latin Ensemble at Florida International University, Herbert and Nicole Wertheim Performing Arts Center — Tenor Sax
September 2017 – PRESENT
FIU Latin ensemble is consists of two trumpets, one alto saxophone, one tenor saxophone, one flute, one guitar, one piano, one bass and two percussionists under direction for professors Mike Orta and Rodolfo Zuñiga
Jazz Educators Community Coalition (JECC) Boot Camp & Ensemble, 88.9 FM WDNA public radio — Tenor Sax and musical assistant.
January 2017 – PRESENT
The Jazz Boot Camp Ensemble is made up young men and women who meet every Saturday at the WDNA Jazz Gallery to learn and improve repertoire, performance, and composition from Nicole Yarling and varying Guest Artists very week such as: Tal Cohen, Brian Murphy, and Jim Gasior.
New World School of the Arts – Oboist and Saxophonist.
August 2014 – July 2017
Oboist for the Orchestra and the Wind Ensemble directed by Alfred Gershfeld and Brent Mounger. In addition, Tenor Saxophonist of the Jazz Combo with Jim Gasior as the director.
Miami Music Project Leaders Orchestra – Oboist and Saxophonist.
January 2015 – June 2017
First Chair Oboe for the Orchestra directed by Alex Berti.
Miami Arts Charter School – Oboist and Saxophonist.
February 2012 – July 2014
Oboist of the Orchestra directed by Alexander Djuric and Jazz Saxophonist of the Jazz Ensemble with Alfredo De La Rosa.
· Present: The School of Music at Florida International University – 3rd. semester.
· Miami Dade Online Academy: 12th grade with a Dual Enrollment at Miami Dade College.
· New World School of the Arts: Studied from 10th to 11th grade
· Miami Arts Charter School: Studied from 7th to 9th
· Plays soprano, alto, tenor and baritone saxophones.
· Plays Oboe.
· Plays Keyboard – basic skills.
LANGUAGES: English and Spanish
I volunteered at Miami Music Project (MMP) Leaders Orchestra for two years. “Composing Better Lives” is the motto of the project and the understanding and internalizing of the truth of this slogan is one of the most important lessons that MMP gave me. I’ve witnessed the change in low income kids who don’t own instruments and even come to rehearsals hungry. I see their moods change during rehearsals: at the beginning the notes start to feed their stomachs, then their souls and finally something magical occurs in a form that we call music.
I strongly believe that a real social change happens in making music accessible to all children. Furthermore, creating music is to create opportunities, to develop human beings, to build discipline, to build respect for others, to build possibilities to feel more confident. Today I am certain about my future as a musician; I will be an active person who really contributes to make a better world engaging in community services.
Copyright © 2020 Eduardo Clavijo - Todos los derechos reservados.